I’d like to relay my experience about using FB (FaceBook) Groups as a community forum to exchange experiences. I’m member of several FB groups that discuss emerging technologies. One of these is a closed group of Matterport 3D scanner users. Before creating the FB group, they launched a web based community that struggled to catch up. The reasons were very simple:
- posting content was complicated
- it was not very mobile friendly
- people had to bookmark the site to check what’s new (poor notifications)
- it required discipline to share anything
Matterport decided to create a FB Group moderated by their team and a few selected admin users. They created some basic guidelines and the community took off very rapidly.
I’m wondering if IntuiLab may benefit of a FB Group too. There are several pros:
- Great mobile experience
- Easy posting
- Most IntuiFace users probably have a FB account
And some cons:
- It’s a walled garden, no SEO
- Posting a screencast would still require being on a PC
- No badges
- Potentially complicated to cross link content or upload examples
- No categories
I believe that FB groups are a great way to generate conversations and engagement, and personal connections too. And by combining FB with links to your wonderful KB, I think you could have the best of both worlds.
Does anybody have an opinion on this matter?