Crop or Mask an image? Basic design features?

I would like to mask or crop an image. It would be REALLY nice to be able to do this in Intuiface without having to create an entire new asset in Photoshop to bring into Intuiface. Am I missing something?

Along that line, if you will forgive a little bit of a rant, it seems like there are a LOT of these small, seemingly simple design tasks that are completely missing from Intuiface. Like kerning, leading, character spacing, image masking, cropping, transparency overlay styles, combining and subtracting shapes, just to name a few.

I’m relatively new to Intuiface. Am I just expecting too much of it? I’m trying to create as much as possible natively in Intuiface, thinking things will runs faster that way and also have more power to control things with actions, but I keep hitting design limitations. Is best practice just to design everything externally and then bring entire segments into Intuiface?

1 Like

Hello Matt,

I confirm you Intuiface Composer isn’t a full featured design tool as Illustrator can be but rest assured we’re keeping it evolving on a regular basis and we are attentive to requests from our Community :slight_smile:

I’ve shared your request with our Product Team, meanwhile, I advice you to do all the “complex” design externally.

Regards,

Alex.

2 Likes

Hi Matt, I dont think intuiface was created to be a design tool (there are just too many of them out there), Intuiface is more on the interactivity side to create the end solution combining all the various multimedia stuff. What you mentioned above relates mainly to graphics, someone that works with video would probably want the option to use compression, change bit rate, etc. etc. Intuiface is not designed to to all of that, then it would be another graphics design tool.

This is meant to combine everything you create externally and add the wow factor that you cant achieve in other design tools by incorporating actions and triggers & interactivity.

Since, you’re new to intuiface, I think you’re expecting it to be more of a graphics design tool instead of an interactive tool

2 Likes

Hey guys, jumping in here to A) bump this request, and B) explain why it’s MUCH more important than you’re giving it credit for. Not having any method of masking an object (not just a static bitmap image) is very problematic for some experience design needs. For example, we have a beautiful circle-based design all dialed-in except for this one limitation, preventing us from featuring dynamic content (a Collection, for example) inside of one of our circles. Very frustrating, and there just doesn’t seem to be any way to work around it.

Masking is extremely common among media authoring tools, this seems like an obvious feature inclusion for IF. Yes, if one is just talking about creating a mask for a single image or series thereof, that can be done pretty easily outside of IF, but what I’m describing simply can’t.

4 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @whit, this will definitely be passed to the product team.

To complete your comment, would you mind sharing a screenshot or drawing of what you have in mind, so it helps the team figure out what can’t be done in a design tool outside of IF and would have to be done within IF?

Thanks!

Seb

I do like the idea of image masking. If there were different shaped groups such as a circle, it would make it really easy to just place the item within a circle group which would hide the part of the item that is larger than the container.

I’ve ran into a couple instances now where it would be nice to have a circular video.

2 Likes

Hey Seb,

Sorry for the delayed response, I’m only loosely attached to this project and didn’t have easy access to the previews you’re requesting.

Here are two screen captures - first, showing (very roughly) what we would like to be able to do (the Collection inside the circle would be horizontally scrollable), and second, why we can’t do that right now…

We were just working on our experience design again today, trying to figure out how to deal with the dissonance between non-rectangular aspects of our design with the forcibly rectangular Collection boundaries. If it was possible to mask any element, group of elements, or Collection inside of a vector or alpha “shell” then such conversations would disappear, and we could honor our design more freely.

Hi @whit,

I just did an example based on your snapshot. You can download it here: RoundMask-Sample.zip (5.7 MB)

See the result:

I used the following

• fullscreen scene background
  • asset grid which is about the size of the circle
  • static PNG image that is the background minus the circular hole.
    • property “visible to interactivity” unchecked so it doesn’t prevent to manipulate the asset grid below it.

Would that answer your need?

Seb

3 Likes

Addendum: and that part you punch out to make a “hole” in your image, you can put it in the background behind the collection to get back the rest of the man’s face and design :wink:

1 Like

@Alex, It is in the back of the circle, just very dark on the snapshot / gif. Look in the sample :wink:

2 Likes

Ooooh indeed, my bad, seems I’m getting old and these :eyeglasses: are getting mandatory :grin:

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

image Rekt by @Seb

1 Like

Actually, it’s a tradition @Seb and I have, Jedi Master and Padawan :wink:

2 Likes

Now the real question is for @whit: were you able to have a look at the sample I posted above? :slight_smile:

No, I didn’t (I think I need to adjust my notification settings, I didn’t see this until you @-mentioned me).

And I was really excited when I first saw your previews above, but… no, that’s not a feasible work-around for what we need here. The background is a VERY active, multi-layered design, not a static image. :confused: I appreciate the idea, though!

My request to have some method of object masking within IF stands. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
Any updates?
Best, Ihnder

this thread is quite old, but it seems there hasn’t been any updates on that front right? This features would so helpful and real time saver.

Hi @raphael.ricciardi ,

Could you tell us more about your use case and how exactly you’d like to be able to use that feature?

Thanks