Button press / swipe gesture conflict

I was trying to add swipe functionality to a project that is nothing but full screen image buttons. The only way I can seem to make it work is to have an area withOUT buttons which makes a little zone that then becomes swipe-able. Am I correct in assuming you can’t have swipe areas stacked over or under buttons? I’ve tried assigning the swipe trigger to the scene as well as a transparent rectangle on top of the whole scene and it either doesn’t work or cancels out the button functionality.

Thanks,
Carson

Hi @carson, you could add the gesture to the asset itself (the rectangle). Gestures are supported on static assets.

That’s what I was saying I did (in addition to trying it on the scene)… When I put it on the transparent rectangle- it works, but it blocks my buttons from being pressed. I know Inuiface will register the top-most button in cases where they are stacked on top of eachother but didn’t know if gestures were the same way… I guess so.

here’s a stripped down version of what I was trying to do.
Tap and swipe are enabled on the button which I couldn’t get working.

Hi Chloe,

I’m having a similar issue with a project I’m working on. But I’ve come up against a different issue. I’ve tried to add both a SWIPE UP and a SWIPE DOWN gesture to the same static rectangle, to “scroll” through the six items I have. But it would only recognize the SWIPE UP gesture, and NOT the swipe down gesture. Can you not add two similar gestures to the same static rectangle?

Then, if we can three buttons on one of the six items, couldn’t I just add those three buttons to the top of the project, so they’d register? Thanks,

Will

Since we talked about it today Will @wcruthers, I think you already fixed this issue :wink:

Bringing this back. I have the same issue. I need to have navigation swipes available anywhere on the same layer but individual navigation taps on static rectangles.

Hi Edward @EAR,

You can add a transparent (opacity set to 0) Rectangle with the size of your screen to a background Experience Layer, by doing so, it will be available on every scene of your Experience, but behind all elements so they keep their interactivity.

Then, on this transparent rectangle, set your Trigger/Actions related to navigation like, for instance:

• WHEN a “swipe left” gesture is detected THEN navigate to “next scene”
  • WHEN a “swipe right” gesture is detected THEN navigate to “previous Scene”

To learn more about Experience Layers, I recommend you to check the “Build your first Experience” course in Intuiface Academy (don’t hesitate to start with the basic and 101 before if needed).

Kind regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex, yes I have tried that but any foreground elements that have interactivity on them block the navigation on the background experience layer.

Unfortunately, this is not doable because of your design needs.

It’s very complex to have all together:

• swipes available anywhere +
  • individual navigation taps +
  • foreground elements “understanding the finger” to detect either if it’s a global swipe or a touch targeting them

I recommend you to ditch the swipe especially if you have already other navigation elements (like menu, buttons) on your page.

1 Like