Big Project Performance?

My experience has many files. (Total size will be 3-4 GB)
More than 100 PDF File (2-20 MB) and 20 Photo Gallery (each one 5-10 pict.) and other contents(Video,Timeline,PPT,Text,Animation etc.)

I wonder?
Will the project work well in online and offline mode?
Will the tablet/pc/kiosk work well? (If we think of devices with high CPU and RAM and files/contents optimized). thank you

@frt.bnt

For best performance it would be recommended you bind everything via excel because that does improve performance massively.

• But make sure you have a read of this these topics:

Binding content via Excel.

Binding Excel

Content Optimization

and this for the Hardware requirements.

Hardware Requirements

Hope this helps

I prefer binding exel. But it work in tablet(Android & iPad)?
and offline mode?

It would depend on the level of animation you have please have a read on the limitations for Android & Tablet.

Storing XP Offline

Android & Tablet Limitations

Kind Regards

Louie

1 Like

Hi @frt.bnt,
Thereā€™s no doubt that such large file sizes and quantities may present challenges on a standard tablet. However, with some planning and strategic loading, you may be able to get this to work just fine. Thereā€™s probably no way to give you exact direction unless we are designing it, so youā€™ll definitely need to do some design/testing to see what works. Hereā€™s some pointers to follow:

• Sometimes itā€™s good to hold things in memory, and sometimes itā€™s not. So for very large collections, I agree with @Promultis where using Excel is a good idea for these scenarios. That way, instead of holding the large collection of files in memory, they are only brought up when the user needs them. However, keep in mind, there may be a loading delay to bring it up. If there are standard elements across the whole XP, sometimes a bit of loading time up front when the XP starts can help move things faster. For example, less quantities but high importance of items can be hidden with opacity, or simply moved off screen so they can be brought in quickly.

• Youā€™ll need to experiment with ā€œchangingā€ the file. For example, you may only have one image/pdf/video asset in your experience and set a trigger to ā€˜changeā€™ that image/video/pdf to something else as needed. This can sometimes be better than the alternative of creating a big collection of those files and scrolling-to, or showing/hiding.

• Timing of everything - often times when I have movements/actions coupled with files that need to be brought up, I will set the actions to be timed .1/.2/.3 seconds off. This allows your cpu to prioritize them - find a way to set them so itā€™s un-noticeable to the user.

• Distractions - Users can be like children :slight_smile: They often wonā€™t care as much about loading times if they are preoccupied with something else. For example, if a big file needs to be queued up, then you might set some light animations/fading of other elements to happen immediately after they press the button, and finish along the same time when the file is ready. Often times this is less than .5 seconds, which can be easily taken up with a movements. If you do it right, the user notices the program reacted immediately to their press, and they had something to watch for a slight moment before the real file came in.

• Use bindings a lot - Lotā€™s of times instead of setting triggers to move things or make them disappear, Iā€™ll bind their x,y or opacity values to the new element that ā€˜moves inā€™ to the scene. Using the linear converter, you can adjust how/when the action happens. For example, itā€™s very easy to have a flip-chart of PDFā€™s that only show one at a time, sitting outside of the scene. Press one of your main menu buttons, and have the whole main menu position and opacity bound to the flip chart. Set only one trigger or toggle button to move the flip chart into the scene. As it moves in, the main menu slowly fades away and moves out of the scene. Often times bindings create ā€˜snappierā€™ movements/actions.

Just some ideas - Iā€™m not sure of your level of experience with IF, so hopefully Iā€™m not reiterating stuff you already know! Best of luck though, Iā€™m sure it will be a fun challenge.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information @AlexB . I am very new and trying to learn the abilities of the program. There are too many documents but I need definite results. My project will be 3gb (videos, pdf, photo etc.) I wonder if the iPad can work efficiently as an offline? If I follow the principles of efficiency?

@frt.bnt Youā€™re very welcome. Those are just some principles that I follow for efficiency, but I admit I donā€™t have a lot of experience yet with designing for mobile devicesā€¦yet. This is an area Iā€™m also trying to improve :slight_smile:

I wonder if anyone else in this community may have some input? Just going to tag a few: @Promultis @art @Seb @AlexL